As the winds of change swept through the nation’s capital in 2017 with a new president in the White House, optimism in some quarters was tempered by uncertainties surrounding the fate of federal policy on the Affordable Care Act, global trade and regulatory issues.
Throughout the year, AdvaMed worked to meet these uncertainties head-on by forging new and deeper relationships with incoming administration officials – many of whom we’ve known for a long time – and continuing to educate all stakeholders about important health policy solutions to the challenges our member companies face every day.
In 2017, our broader advocacy efforts remained squarely focused on unleashing the power of medical technology innovation, to help our members achieve “what’s next” for the benefit of the patients they serve. Working together, we achieved critical results on behalf of industry and patients everywhere, including:
- Passage of the FDA Reauthorization Act, to build on the successes of previous user fee agreements and implement pro-industry reforms to help speed patient access to innovation;
- Ongoing advocacy for permanent repeal of the innovation-crushing medical device tax, to build on a temporary suspension that saves our industry nearly $2 billion annually;
- Launch of AdvaMed’s Value Frameworks, to help members make the case for the value of medical devices and diagnostics as part of value assessments by payers and providers;
- Advancement of legislation based on our proposals to modernize anti-kickback laws to broadly allow value-based pricing and value-based warranties under new payment models;
- Creation of AdvaMed’s Diabetes Sector and expansion of AdvaMed’s recently launched Digital Health Sector, to support members in these rapidly evolving markets;
- Achievement of key international objectives, such as increased global harmonization of ethical business practices, significant improvements in regulatory time to market in China and Brazil, and preservation of reimbursement levels in Japan;
- Ongoing AdvaMedDx advocacy for diagnostic regulatory reforms, effective implementation of laboratory test payment reforms, and recognition of diagnostics in key public health initiatives;
- Continued advocacy through AdvaMed Accel for legislation that promotes investment in small firms, and advancement of initiatives that bring together more stakeholders in the innovation ecosystem; and
- Presentation of our largest and most successful MedTech Conference ever in San Jose.
For more details on these and other highlights of 2017, and related photo galleries, please click on the topic areas listed on the right of this webpage....
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer