This prestigious award takes into consideration individuals from across all medtech sectors who have continuously displayed commitment, promoted progress and were a catalyst for positive change in the medtech industry. Previous recipients include Edward Ludwig (2021), Ron Dollens (2020), Cathy Burzik (2019), Vernon Loucks, Jr. (2018), Jack Wareham (2017), John Abele and Peter Nicholas (2016), Dr. Thomas Fogarty (2015), Earl Bakken (2014); and John Brown (2013).
Eligible candidates shall have been retired from their day-to-day medtech industry responsibilities (and no longer be serving as the board chair for their tenured employer) for at least one full calendar year – i.e., on or by December 31, 2020 to be considered for the 2022 award year.
Nomination Process for 2022
- We welcomed nominations for the 2022 Lifetime Achievement Award until March 31, 2022. Nominators were to completely fill out and submit their nomination form, detailing the nominee’s career accomplishments across nine grading categories as applicable.
- Nominations will be evaluated from April – May of 2022.
- Nominators of candidates selected as finalists will be contacted and participate in a second round of judging. Nominators and/or nominees will be interviewed in April – May of 2022.
- The recipient of the Lifetime Achievement Award will be determined in the Summer of 2022 and will be contacted, invited and expected to participate in-person in a plenary presentation ceremony held during The MedTech Conference (October 2022).
- We will also contact the recipient’s signature employer/company and boards to inform them of the selection (and award presentation details at The MedTech Conference in Boston, October 2022).
- Nominators of all finalists who were not selected will be contacted and informed as well.
Nominees for AdvaMed’s Lifetime Achievement Award should be outstanding individuals who have made significant and prolonged contributions to the medical technology industry. Eligible candidates shall have been retired from their day-to-day medtech industry responsibilities (and no longer be serving as the board chair for their signature employer) for at least one full calendar year.
When voting, The AdvaMed Selection Committee will assess and weigh the following criteria:
- Years of sustained industry leadership
- Impact on patient care
- Commitment to mentoring and career development
- Actions that have led to the introduction and promotion of medtech innovation
- Significant role in medical discovery/commercialization
- History of Entrepreneurship and/or supporting entrepreneurship
- Actively engaged in medtech capital formation/venture capital or support for medtech ecosystem
- Effective advocate for sound legislation, regulation and public awareness of medical technology
- Philanthropy, community service, community leadership