Medtech Companies can serve the interests of patients through beneficial collaborations with Health Care Professionals (HCPs) to advance medical technologies, enhance the safe and effective use of medical technologies, encourage research and education, and foster charitable donations and giving. To ensure that these collaborative relationships meet the highest ethical standards, they must be conducted with appropriate transparency and in compliance with applicable laws, regulations and government guidance. Effective January 1, 2020, AdvaMed has updated its longstanding and highly regarded Code of Ethics in Interactions with Health Care Professionals in the United States (“AdvaMed Code”). The updated code continues to clarify and distinguish appropriate activity between health care professionals and representatives of AdvaMed member companies.
The AdvaMed Code has been updated to bring examples current, to enhance user-friendliness, to address the evolving nature of HCP interactions and to provide greater clarity in the following areas:
- Commercial & sponsorships, educational grants;
- Co-conducted education & marketing programs;
- Meals with HCPs;
- Communicating in the safe and effective use of medical technology
- Evaluation, demonstration, and consignment products; and
- Industry technical support in the clinical setting
AdvaMed and its members encourage ethical business practices and socially responsible industry conduct related to their interactions with health care professionals through:
- The Code Certification Program, which allows AdvaMed member and non-member companies to certify adoption of the AdvaMed Code;
- The Code Logo Supporters Program, which offers any medtech Company that has certified to the AdvaMed Code a license to display the Code of Ethics Logo, promoting awareness of the AdvaMed Code and providing a visible symbol of the Company’s commitment to effective compliance programming and ethical interactions with health care providers;
- Providing contact information to health care compliance officers responsible for overseeing their company's compliance with fraud and abuse laws and implementation of AdvaMed's Code of Ethics for Interactions with Health Care Professionals; and
- Hosting and facilitating educational conferences and meetings for compliance best practices exchanges and dialogue with government and industry leaders. AdvaMed seeks opportunities to communicate the importance of furthering ethical interactions between industry and health care professionals through speaking engagements and meetings with all partners in the health care continuum.
- Development of tools and resources to assist companies in adopting the code available here.
- The AdvaMed Compliance App is now available worldwide for iOS devices (iPad, iPhone & iPod Touch) for free in the iTunes App Store (iTunes Preview), including:
- Tools like the Code Navigator - an interactive tool to navigate issues covered by the AdvaMed Code of Ethics;
- a Search tool for Compliance Contacts for companies that have certified to the AdvaMed Code; and
- Interactive and searchable references and training tools, among others.
AdvaMed U.S. Code
- A copy of the current revision of The AdvaMed U.S. Code and related FAQs is available here.
- This version remains in effect until December 31, 2019.
- A copy of the updated version of The AdvaMed U.S. code is available here.
- This version goes in effect on January 1, 2020.
Please also consult the following for additional info: