Health Care Professionals’ (HCPs) first and highest duty is to act in the best interests of their patients. Medical Technology (MedTech) companies can help HCPs meet this duty through necessary and valuable collaborative interactions. To ensure these collaborative relationships meet the highest ethical standards, the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals (the “AdvaMed Code”) provides MedTech companies guidance based on the Code’s Six Cornerstone Values: Innovation, Education, Integrity, Respect, Responsibility and Transparency.
While the AdvaMed Code has long set the standards for ethical interactions between HCPs and member companies, we’re presenting an update in 2020 that reflects today’s world. Effective January 1, 2020, the revised Code offers current examples, enhanced user-friendless and greater clarity to address the evolving nature of HCP interactions.
Compliance in the MedTech Industry
AdvaMed Code of Ethics
- A copy of the AdvaMed Code of Ethics is available here.
- This version went into effect on January 1, 2020.
- A copy of the former AdvaMed Code of Ethics and related FAQs is available here.
- This version was in effect until December 31, 2019.
- Overview of AdvaMed Code
- Crosswalk between former and current code (members-only)
- Illustrative Best Practices Tools for the AdvaMed Code (members-only)
Code Certification Center
The AdvaMed Code Certification Center is open to both AdvaMed member and non-member MedTech companies to sign on to the Code and obtain a certification logo to adopt, proudly display and reap the benefits of Code certification:
- The Code Certifying Companies page lists all Code-certified MedTech companies.
- The Compliance Contact Information page provides contact information of the officers responsible for overseeing their Code-certified MedTech company's compliance.
Accel Center for Ethics
At the Accel Center for Ethics (ACE), smaller companies are provided the tools and resources needed to adopt the AdvaMed Code of Ethics and implement its provisions to help ensure effective compliance.
Code Tools & Resources
AdvaMed offers AdvaMed Code training and compliance assistance to encourage ethical business practices and socially responsible industry conduct related to their interactions with HCPs:
- The 2020 Code Training Deck for an introductory course on the Revised AdvaMed Code of Ethics (online overview course coming mid-December).
- For company representatives who need more in-depth training, AdvaMed worked with HealthStream, a provider of workforce and provider solutions for the healthcare industry, to provide Code of Ethics training via the RepDirect™ platform, where for a reasonable fee learners can access training and receive a credential accepted by healthcare providers nationwide.
- The Code Resources Center for new and updated tools, resources and other materials to assist companies in adopting the AdvaMed Code.