Medtech Companies can serve the interests of patients through beneficial collaborations with Health Care Professionals (HCPs) to advance medical technologies, enhance the safe and effective use of medical technologies, encourage research and education, and foster charitable donations and giving. To ensure that these collaborative relationships meet the highest ethical standards, they must be conducted with appropriate transparency and in compliance with applicable laws, regulations and government guidance. The AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals in China (“China Code”) [Chinese] [English] clarifies and distinguishes appropriate activity between health care professionals and representatives of AdvaMed member companies in China.
Download the 2021 China Code of Ethics Certification Form for Members.
AdvaMed and its members encourage ethical business practices and socially responsible industry conduct related to their interactions with health care professionals through:
- The AdvaMed China Board, which consists of AdvaMed member companies' most senior executives in China, together with the AdvaMed China Code Task Force, which consists of legal professionals and compliance offices supporting AdvaMed member companies in China, lead AdvaMed's ethics and compliance initiatives in China, including stewardship of the China Code;
- The China Code Certification Program, which allows AdvaMed member and non-member companies to certify adoption of the China Code;
- The China Code Logo Supporters Program, which offers any medtech company that has certified to the China Code a license to display the China Code of Ethics Logo, promoting awareness of the China Code and providing a visible symbol of the company’s commitment to effective compliance programming and ethical interactions with health care providers; and
- Providing contact information to health care compliance officers responsible for overseeing their company's compliance with fraud and abuse laws and implementation of China Code; and
- Hosting and facilitating educational conferences and meetings for compliance best practices exchanges and dialogue with government and industry leaders. AdvaMed seeks opportunities to communicate the importance of furthering ethical interactions between industry and health care professionals through speaking engagements and meetings with all partners in the health care continuum.
- Most recently, in furthering member companies’ commitment to ethics and compliance, AdvaMed’s Board voted to approved a phase-out of direct sponsorships of health care professionals (HCPs) in China to attend third party educational conferences, effective January 1, 2018. While companies can no longer directly support individual HCP attendance at these events, medical technology companies remain deeply committed to HCP education in China through educational grants/donations to conference organizers, support for HCP participation in procedural training programs, and company-conducted training on the safe and effective use of products. This revision of the China Code, described in both the pocket card and brochure materials, aligns with other medtech associations’ (MedTech Europe and APACMed) phase – out of direct sponsorship both of which are also effective January 1, 2018.