The medical technology industry recognizes its crucial role in our nation’s health care system, particularly during an unprecedented public health emergency such as the COVID-19 pandemic. This crisis has united us all as Americans in a global fight. The patients our industry serves have always been our No. 1 priority, and we are working around the clock to meet their needs. We are committed as medical technology innovators and manufacturers to working with federal, state, and local authorities to ensure our nation’s disaster planning efforts are coordinated, efficient, and effective. For weeks now, the medtech industry has been mobilizing to this global cause, and we are committed to the following guiding principles in our efforts to conquer the coronavirus.
- We will continue to increase manufacturing capacity and support policies and industry initiatives to ensure patients have access to critical medical technologies, partnering with manufacturers inside and outside our industry.
- We will continue to support our employees and their families in staying healthy so they can continue to pursue their mission of serving patients and keeping the health care system strong.
- We will work with the administration to provide timely product availability information to health care institutions and the public, partnering with GPOs, distributors, and hospitals.
- We will leverage our industry’s substantial investments in diagnostics to continue deploying tests, support our nation’s laboratory infrastructure, and develop point-ofcare tests to make rapid testing widely available to patients.
- We will continue our work with government agencies, health care providers, and payers to expand patient access to medical technologies, including telemedicine, and to assist with remote training among medical professionals.